Home > News > Greenstone Mine nears 70%...

Greenstone Mine nears 70% completion. Production expected first half of 2024

May 9, 2023

Equinox Gold is a growth-focused gold producer operating entirely in the Americas, with seven operating mines in the USA, Mexico and Brazil. As part of its vision to be a million-ounce gold producer, in April 2021 Equinox Gold bought a 60% interest in the Greenstone Mine in Ontario, Canada, with the remaining 40% held by Orion Mine Finance Group. Greenstone Mine will be one of the largest open-pit gold mines in Canada and will be Equinox Gold’s flagship asset when it commences production in 2024.
Greenstone Mine construction kicked into high gear in October 2021.

The project is nearly 70% complete and on track to achieve production in the first half of 2024. Various facilities have been commissioned and were handed over to the Operations team during the fourth quarter, including the potable water treatment plant, sewage treatment plant, site mixed emulsion plant and pit fuel station. All buildings are now enclosed and interior work by the mechanical, piping and electrical trades is underway. Conveyors between buildings are being assembled and installed.

Four bays at the truck shop are available to Operations team haul truck maintenance while work on the offices, lube, HVAC and communications systems continues. At the power plant, ongoing efforts include construction of the control room and the exhaust ducting as well as extensive electrical work.

Greenstone mine pic 2
Offsite infrastructure work continues with decommissioning of the former Ontario Ministry of Transportation Patrol Yard nearing completion and work on the Highway 11 realignment on track for completion by year-end 2023.

A milestone for the project was reached in January 2023 with Goldfield Creek diverted into its new realignment and now flowing north around the tailings management facility.
Mining commenced ahead of schedule in September 2022 and is meeting its daily tonnage plan. Haul roads continue to be constructed across the mine site, while operational readiness activities for the process plant are underway.

Greenstone Mine pic 3

Greenstone Mine will produce close to 400,000 ounces of gold per year and more than 5 million ounces of gold in total over an initial 14-year mine life, with expansion and mine-life extension potential from both underground and near-mine open-pit deposits.

At its peak, Greenstone Mine will employ more than 500 direct workers. Join us at our booth during the upcoming Timmins Mining Expo event June 7-8 and meet members of the human resources and supply chain teams.

Greenstone Gold Mine's General Manager,  Eric Lamontagne will be delivering an update on the project and will be presenting the future development of the mine site to a group of interested supply and service companies looking to help Greenstone Mine reach their production goals. Eric is one of 11 guest speakers taking part in the Projects in the Pipeline Conference in Timmins on June 8th as part of the Canadian Mining Expo. If you are not registered there is still time to do so but tickets are limited. Visit www.canadianminingexpo.com to reserve your tickets or call 705-264-2251 and ask for Audrey.


Tags: Northern Ontario / New Projects / Gold / All Articles